Sanne Kortooms is an award-winning director and screenwriter. In 2010 she graduated with honors from the Utrecht School of the Arts. Her graduation film De Blauwe Bus (35 min) was awarded at various festivals in the Netherlands and abroad.
Sanne’s black comedy To Catch a Fly (20 min) became quite the festival hit. After its premiere at the Nederlands Film Festival, it showcased at many festivals around the globe between 2018 and 2021. It earned Sanne 15 prices including 5x the award for “Best Director of a Short Film” (i.e. at North Hollywood CineFest), 4x the win for “Best Short” and 3x the “Audience Award”.
To Catch A Fly now streams (for Benalux viewers) at Dutch streaming service Cinetree. It can also be viewed (and was selected as Pic of the Week July 2021) at BitPix. A USA streaming service hosted by Oscar Qualifying Film Festival Holly Shorts (where the movie was shown at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood).
In addition to drama, commercial productions, museum installations, theatre plays and music videos, Sanne also directs documentaries. For example the two seasons she made of the documentary series Dagboek van Onze Helden (90 min, in 2015 and in 2017). She traveled several times – only with a cameraman – to conflict areas in Mali and Somalia. The encounters she had only aroused Sanne’s interest in soldiers and their stories. In 2018 and 2019 she directed the Ridderzaal Ceremony for the Veterans Day. A 70-minute (live) show consisting of film, theatre, live speakers and music. The ceremonies were performed in the presence of King Willem-Alexander and screened on NPO 1.
In 2021 Your Moral Courage / Not Everything Is What It Seems (12 min) the short fiction film Sanne made for the renewed museum of the Camp Vught National Memorial, was named one of the winners by by New York Festivals TV & Film in the category: Social Responsibility – Not For profit.
Sanne writes (besides film also opinion pieces and articles), directs and develops concepts. As a freelancer, for her own productions or on assignment. Like for commercial brands such as Philips, ABN AMRO, Kras and BMW, but also for the government (from Defense to the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, the Public Prosecution Service and Justice) and for cultural institutions such as Camp Vught National Memorial.
In all her work, either fiction or documentary, Sanne looks for the points that interest and touch her and conveys them to the public with great enthusiasm.
Sanne always tries to focus on people and their personal story or psyche. It is her goal to let her viewers fully immerse in a world they (might) have never experienced before and make them wonder about themselves and the world we live in.
– Best Director Short Film – To Catch a Fly – North Hollywood Cinefest, Los Angeles, CA,USA
– Best Fantastic Short – To Catch a Fly – FilmQuest Festival, USA
– Best Director Short Film – To Catch a Fly – Goldon Short Fest Rome, IT
– Best Dutch Short – To Catch a Fly – New Renaissance Film Festival Amsterdam, NL
– Winner Social Responsibility – (your) Moral Courage – New York Festivals Film & TV, USA
– Director Alumni Award 2020 – International Watersprite Film Festival, Cambridge, UK
– Best Director – To Catch a Fly – Anatomy International Film Festival, Athens GR
– Best Comedy Short – To Catch a Fly – Falcon Film Festival London, UK
– Audience Award Best Film – To Catch a Fly – Night of the Short Film, Antwerp BE
– Best Director -To Catch a Fly – Zuidelijk Film Festival, NL
– Audience Award Best Short Film – To Catch a Fly – Short Film Festival Kalmthout, BE
– Best International Short Film chosen by the jury – To Catch a Fly – Short Film Festival Kalmthout, BE
– Best Director – To Catch a Fly – Scorpius Fest, Park City, USA
– Audience Award Best Film – To Catch a Fly – Zuidelijk Film Festival, NL
– Audience Award – De Blauwe Bus – NTR New Arrivals, NL
– Best International Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Watersprite Cambridge Student Film Festival, UK
– Best Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Film Front Festival, NL
– Best Director – To Catch a Fly – FilmQuest Festival, USA
– Best Film Best – To Catch a Fly – Night of the Short Film, Antwerp BE
– Best Film Best – To Catch a Fly – Zuidelijk Film Festival, NL
– Best Short – De Blauwe Bus – Krakow Film Festival, PL
– Best Film – De Blauwe Bus – In The Palace International Short Film Festival, HU
– Best Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Kenya International Film Festival, KE
– Best Director – De Blauwe Bus – Watersprite Cambridge Student Film Festival, UK
– Best Screenplay – De Blauwe Bus – Watersprite Cambridge Student Film Festival, UK
– Best Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Leiden International Film Festival, NL
– Best Student Film – Mooie Mond en Mijn Ogen Groen – Sehsuchte Student Film Festival Berlin, DE
– Best Weblog Literature – Sannq – Dutch Bloggies, NL