Sanne Kortooms is a Dutch director, screenwriter and filmmaker. She is known for her black comedy To Catch a Fly (2017) for which she received four “Best Director of a Short Film” awards.
In 2010 Sanne graduated from film school (HKU University of the Arts in Utrecht, the Netherlands) with two films and a thesis. Her graduation film The Blue Bus (2010) has, like To Catch a Fly, been screened at many film festivals around the world and has won several awards, including Best Student Film at the Watersprite Cambridge International Student Film Festival and the Audience Award at the NTR New Arrivals.
After finishing film school, she directed another short film (Verbonden), worked as an assistant director, unit production manager and script supervisor at different movie sets.
Although Sanne graduated as a director for fiction film, she always had a keen interest in documentaries. Since 2013 Sanne has made several documentary series, including the series Diary of our Heroes for which she followed for more then a year the lives of four Dutch soldiers on different foreign missions. Together with DOP’s Ewoud Bon and Max Maloney, Sanne visited conflict zones in Somalia and Mali.
In 2018 and 2019 Sanne also directed live events that have been broadcast on Dutch National Television. For Veteran’s Day she directed the Ridderzaalceremonie: live stories, music and short documentaries about Veterans. King Willem-Alexander attended the ceremonies.
Next to her work in film and documentaries, Sanne also works as freelance director and concept developer. She works for TV and advertising (like commercials). But she also makes films for museums. Like the three short fiction films she recently made for the newly opened National Monument Kamp Vught.
In all her work, either fiction or documentary, Sanne always tries to focus on people and their personal story or psyche. It is her goal to let her viewers fully immerse in a world they (might) have never experienced before and make them wonder about themselves and the world we live in.
– Best Director Short Film – To Catch a Fly – North Hollywood Cinefest, Los Angeles, CA,USA
– Best Fantastic Short – To Catch a Fly – FilmQuest Festival, USA
– Director Alumni Award 2020 – International Watersprite Film Festival, Cambridge, UK
– Best Director – To Catch a Fly – Anatomy International Film Festival, Athens GR
– Audience Award Best Film – To Catch a Fly – Night of the Short Film, Antwerp BE
– Best Director -To Catch a Fly – Zuidelijk Film Festival, NL
– Audience Award Best Short Film – To Catch a Fly – Short Film Festival Kalmthout, BE
– Best International Short Film chosen by the jury – To Catch a Fly – Short Film Festival Kalmthout, BE
– Best Director – To Catch a Fly – Scorpius Fest, Park City, USA
– Audience Award Best Film – To Catch a Fly – Zuidelijk Film Festival, NL
– Audience Award – De Blauwe Bus – NTR New Arrivals, NL
– Best International Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Watersprite Cambridge Student Film Festival, UK
– Best Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Film Front Festival, NL
– Best Director – To Catch a Fly – FilmQuest Festival, USA
– Best Film Best – To Catch a Fly – Night of the Short Film, Antwerp BE
– Best Film Best – To Catch a Fly – Zuidelijk Film Festival, NL
– Best Short – De Blauwe Bus – Krakow Film Festival, PL
– Best Film – De Blauwe Bus – In The Palace International Short Film Festival, HU
– Best Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Kenya International Film Festival, KE
– Best Director – De Blauwe Bus – Watersprite Cambridge Student Film Festival, UK
– Best Screenplay – De Blauwe Bus – Watersprite Cambridge Student Film Festival, UK
– Best Student Film – De Blauwe Bus – Leiden International Film Festival, NL
– Best Student Film – Mooie Mond en Mijn Ogen Groen – Sehsuchte Student Film Festival Berlin, DE
– Best Weblog Literature – Sannq – Dutch Bloggies, NL